Virus, Spyware and Adware Protection
Installing and updating virus protection and adware and spyware detection and removal software is the most important thing you can do for your home computer!
Office 365: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
Printing PowerPoint Presentations
Printing PowerPoints can become problematic because many students will print the full slide view which uses up lots of paper and can completely deplete your ink supply. What you want to do is to print out handouts which will put multiple slides on a page. You'll still be able to read the content but this way you'll save paper,ink and $$$!
Watch a video tutorial on how to print as handouts from PowerPoint.
Working with PDF Files
In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Many systems already have Reader installed so check your system first before you download.
There are a variety of options available to enable you to create your own PDF files.
- Mac users: MacOS X does not require any additional software to create PDF files. It its already built in! In any application: File > Print > Save as PDF...
- Office 365 allows you to easily save files in PDF format.
- PDF24.org is a web-based PDF creator - you upload your file, the system converts it and emails the PDF back to you . Nothing to download or install!
- CutePDF is a free PDF creator that you can use to make PDF files. It works like a printer - to create a PDF file just go to the File menu in whatever program you are in and select Print. From the Printer Name pull-down menu select "CutePDF Writer." The program will "print" to a PDF file - pretty neat! Please note that you will also need to download a converter application so be sure to read the download instructions. There is a link to the converter from the URL provided above.
Here are some great online sites and tools to help you keep track of all of your sources:
- Zotero - This new Firefox extension makes citing your sources incredibly easy! We are extremely impressed with this option and would definitely recommend that you consider using it!
- Citation Machine - Cites print and non-print sources for APA, MLA, Chicago and Turabian
- KnightCite - Cites print and non-print sources including art, cartoons, videos, television programs, etc
- OttoBib - Cites books using the ISBN